Saturday, February 25, 2012

Romancing the Stone (1984) Review


 I watched this movie while I was sick, and I still enjoyed it, which tells you it's a pretty darn good movie. I came across it as I was looking at really bad sequels. It has one apparently, The Jewel of the Nile. But both of them had good movie trailers that were fun and the plots looked good, so I decided to give them a whirl. As I said before, I'm starting to love 80s movies, they have the bets action/adventure/romance ever. Sadly, I'm running out of movies to watch. 

I was expecting a lot when I started watching the movie, and I must say I was a bit disappointed by the movie in some aspects, but overall it was good. Plus, after I watched it, it grew on me and I realized just how much fun it really was to watch. 

The movie has a good plot, and great characters. I loved Jack, he was absolutely hilarious and not a cliche "hero" type man. It was fresh. Joan, the woman, was also very interesting. She loves romance and she's looking for romance, and she expects everything to be fictional, and it's not as boring on screen as you'd think it would be. 

The two leads are very funny and play off of each other well. They have good chemistry and it's not always 'i love you, i love you, i love you' on screen. There is definitely a Tarzan type quality to the movie cover, and I was expecting more Tarzan in the jungle stuff, in the movie, but there isn't much. The third wheel of the movie, Ralph, is hilarious and adds zest to the movie. He reminds me of the brother, Jonathan, in The Mummy. There is a bit of a Indiana Jones feel to the movie, but the screenplay was written five years prior, so there was no copy-catting. 

The movie starts Michael Douglas as Jack Colton, Kathleen Turner as Joan Wilder, and Danny DeVito as Ralph. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment