Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Hidalgo (2004) Review


The first time I saw Hidalgo, I didn't think it was a very good movie. I had seen the trailer and had very high hopes for the movie to be more than fantastic. Needless to say it disappointed me. But, I watched it again last night and for some reason, the movie was better. The plot, the characters, everything. I especially liked the Wounded Knee Massacre in the film, it showed a side of American history we forget a lot of times, but that actually happened, and it's very sad.


The movie is said to be "based on a true story," about Frank T. Hopkins. Although, much about Hopkins and his horse's adventures is highly speculated. The plot centered around John T. Hopkins, played by Lord of the Rings superstar, Viggo Mortensen, and his famous horse, Hidalgo. Hopkins is down on life, he enters the Ocean of Fire, a famous Arabian horse race across the Arabian desert, and finds himself. I think that's my favorite part of the story. At first, it's kind of just a movie where you're like yeah, he won. But really, it's about why he won, and how it changed his life. Another thing about the movie that I loved was the horse Hidalgo, who was a wild Mustang, and Hopkins continually sticks up for him because he's a horse, just like any thoroughbred. It was definitely a feel good movie for me.                                                        


Though not Mortensen's bets performance, it's still a sweet movie with a good story behind it and just enough action to keep you satisfied. I'm not going to say that this movie is the best movie in the entire world and you have to see it, but it's a pretty darn good movie.


The movie stars Viggo Mortensen, Zuleikka Robinson, and Omar Sharif. 













No comments:

Post a Comment