Friday, January 20, 2012

The Help Book Review



I liked this book a lot. But I did not love it. 

The book has three narrators: Aibileen, Miss Skeeter, and Minny. Each are very different characters. They bring together the story, each contributing something important to the group, and ultimately, the book they work on throughout the book, Help.  I really loved Skeeter's ignorance and how she turns it onto compassion and tries to help the maids throughout the book. She really cares, and she grows into a really wonderful character, standing up for herself. 

Minny was my second favorite person in the book. She is sassy and she owns it. Everything she says and does is funny. But behind her walls, she is really a soft piece of cotton candy. Minny is everything you could want in a friend and I found myself at the end of the book not wanting to leave her. Throughout the book, I loved Minny's strength. 

Celia, Elizabeth, and Aibileen also add spice to the book. Celia brings mystery to the book, keeping you wondering about her for most of the book. She is an outsider, and she made me think about anybody I've ever treated like that. Elizabeth is comic relief. She doesn't like her little girl and she's way too naive. By the end of the book, I disliked Elizabeth and saw her as a pawn that had no real morals. Aibileen is sweet and friedndly. She doesn't want any trouble and mourns for her son, who leads her to agree to help Skeeter with her book. I see Aibileen as a strong woman who genuinely cares for everyone around her. I admired her character. 

Overall, the book inspired me to really look at people and not judge them until I know who they are and what their story is. What I do reflects who I am. And how I treat people affects them. 

The three problems I had with the book is Skeeter's quick exit, Aibileen being fired, and how the book really had no effect on the town. I felt like the book was ended abruptly with no real conclusion, just cut off. 

The Help is by Kathryn Stockett.

No comments:

Post a Comment